Do you need a fake cake as a prop? I made this simple fake cake for our cake topper display using styrofoam, grout and acrylic paint. I was in a rush to do this since we needed it for the Pandora Market fair that we did on Mother’s Day that I didn’t have the time to take pictures of each step.
Posted by Instagrate to WordPress
- Styrofoam Cake Dummy
- Grout Powder
- Wood Stick
- Cake Spatula
- White Acrylic Paint
- Mix the grout powder with water according to the instructions on the box.
- Use a wood stick to stir until you get the right consistency recommend by the grout manufacturer. Do not use more water than recommended so that you don’t get any cracks when the faux icing dries.
- Use the cake spatula to spread the grout around the styrofoam dummy until you’ve covered it. I didn’t add any fancy cake decoration on the cake since I wanted it to look rustic and home made.
- Wait for your cake to dry overnight. If you find any cracks, mix more ground and use it to fill the cracks.
- Paint the dried grout with white acrylic paint.
We were under a tent for the whole day but sometime in the afternoon, the sun was shining directly on the fake cake and it held up. You can store it in a plastic container and it will keep for a long time.
What do you think? Does it look like the real thing? Just make a comment on this post if you have any questions.