I wanted to make a set of handmade couples mug for Lex and me for some time now. I saw a lot of these Sharpie mug tutorials floating around the net and thought I’d post a tutorial on how I made ours. This handmade mug idea is perfect for Valentine’s day if you’re stumped on what to give your loved ones.
- Black Marabu Porcelain Painter Marker from Art Friend $8
- Daiso Mug $2
- Alcohol Wipes
- Dish washing soap and sponge (not in the photo)
1. Remove any stickers or adhesive on the mugs. Thoroughly wash and dry them. Be careful not to touch the part where you are going to draw your design on.
2. Use alcohol wipes to remove any oils on the area where you will draw the design and let the alcohol evaporate. Draw the design onto the mug.
3. Leave the mug to dry for 3 days.
4. Thoroughly wash the mug before using it.
This DIY is so each to do that you can supervise your kids and let them make their own mugs. I made another mug using the regular Sharpie Permanent Markers but the design did not hold up to a simple hand wash so I don’t recommend using those.
Hope you a lovely handmade hearts day. Happy Valentine’s Day!
NOTE: If you decide to use other marker brands, check the product information to make sure that they are safe to use with mugs or drinkware.